Re: Advice/guideline on increasing shared_buffers and kernel parameters

From: "Gnanakumar" <gnanam(at)zoniac(dot)com>
To: "'Kevin Grittner'" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Advice/guideline on increasing shared_buffers and kernel parameters
Date: 2012-05-09 10:41:10
Lists: pgsql-admin

> We get very good performance dealing with
> thousands of concurrent users with a pool of 35 connections to the
> database.
>
> If you want to handle more users than you can currently support, you
> probably need to use fewer database connections.

First, please excuse me that I'm not able to understand this particular
point clearly. How can be reducing/using fewer connections in connection
pooler can support larger concurrent incoming connection requests? If this
is so critical to revisit (reducing), then I may have to convince/justify my
peers also, before making this change in the Production server. Can you
throw some light on this subject?

Thanks for bringing this idea to notice.