Re: SPAR Simple PostgreSQL AddOn Replication System

From: <org(at)kewlstuff(dot)co(dot)za>
To: "Gurjeet Singh" <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>, <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SPAR Simple PostgreSQL AddOn Replication System
Date: 2007-01-13 10:35:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Ok-- again subscribed to hackers till your questions answered.

I think you missed some of the documentation. On the first page, click on documentation, on that (intro) page, click on 'how it works'... it will tell you about primary keys.

Use this script to make a test table....

CREATE TABLE test
(
id serial NOT NULL,
"int" int4 DEFAULT 0,
string varchar(100),
text text,
logic bool,
blob bytea,
"time" timestamp DEFAULT now(),
CONSTRAINT test_pkey PRIMARY KEY (id)
)
WITHOUT OIDS;

Remember that in replication, when the tables come together, primary keys have to be unique... what SPAR does is intercept the serial key generation to make sure this happens correctly.... docs will explain how I did it.

On your other question licensing... I havnt thought about it too much.

I'm just a hobbiest and I need a web site for my estate agent business, but a) the computer business's that came to see me are not very good, most are just punting someone elses expensive product b) I live in a third world country where a leased line and an ip address costs more than a months salary and c) I love geeking.

So all thats happening is that I'm building up my own technology so I can host offshore, at reasonable costs.
In the next version of both Spar and Ese, (the search engine) I'll will put a license in... it will always be free for use and distribution.
I being thinking about open source, and I like the business model behind it.
When I have my site going I'll do that, will give my site admin a derivative business, that way I get the benefits of core ownership and code improvements... otherwise I cant see the benefits of a business model that just gives code away.

I make my software free, because the feedback is tremendous, makes for a better product, and someone will always say, have you tried this or that, good guage to see if the software deserves to live.

Maybe I should put this on my products, "Made by an estate agent just passing through" ha ha.

In the case of Spar, the core code or "tricks", to make Postgres do it, are actually in the script.... thats on your dB anyway.

regards,
Johnny