Re: Error adding new column to existing table.

From: Ted Taylor <Ted(dot)Taylor(at)aircanada(dot)ca>
To: 'Dave Page' <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Error adding new column to existing table.
Date: 2004-09-17 13:51:33
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your quick response.

I downloaded pgAQdmin III “Version 1.2.0 Post Beta 1 (Sep 16 2004)” and I
confirm that my original bug report has been fixed. The GUI does not add
the quotes to the datatype, and the column is added.

…BUT…

(and I realize the SEP 16 snapshot is exactly that, a work-in-progress, not
ready for prime time. So take this new bug report with the usual grain of
salt)

Short version:

(continuing the exact sequence of events from my previous report) After
adding the new column successfully, I cannot successfully re-right-click the
same table name.

Long version:

Using pgAdmin III Version 1.2.0 Post Beta 1 (Sep 16 2004) on Windows 2000,
fully patched from Windows Update site. Connecting to PostgreSQL 7.4.5 on
Fedora Core 2 (select version() reports “"PostgreSQL 7.4.5 on
i686-redhat-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 3.3.3 20040412 (Red Hat
Linux 3.3.3-7)")

Opened “Servers” à <my server name> à “Databases” à <my database name> à
“Schemas” à “public” à “Tables” and single-clicked on my table name to
highlight it.

Right clicked on the table name and chose “Properties”.

The Table dialog box has “Properties” “Columns” “Constraints” “Privileges”
and “SQL” tabs; clicked on “Columns”.

Clicked on the “Add” button at the bottom.

In the New Column dialog box, I entered:

Name= user_surname

Datatype= varchar

Length= 80

I left all other available properties “Default Value” “Not Null”
“Statistics” and “Comment” at the default of blank.

Clicked OK to close the New Column dialog box. On the Table dialog box,
click OK. The column has been successfully added (The only “transaction” I
did was to scroll the bottom-right corner of the window that shows the
CREATE TABLE command, and the new column is shown. I did not click anywhere
else except that scrollbar).

NOW, on the left hand side, I re-right-clicked on the same table name (eg if
I wanted to add another new column name). pgAdmin abruptly closes with no
error messages at all (the app exits, no GPF, no Illegal Operation, no BSOD,
no nothing). The expected context menu that normally appears, did not
appear.

Thanks,
Ted.

PS: Would you like me to revert to “Beta 1 Sep 8 2004”, in case I discover
more bugs? Or should I stay on the Sep 16 snapshot for any bug reports.
Note I am not asking about whether the snapshot will corrupt my database;
that’s my decision and my responsibility. My question is solely from the
bug-reports-for-pgAdminIII, which version would *you* prefer?