Timestamp indexes

From: "Mitch Vincent" <mitch(at)venux(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Timestamp indexes
Date: 2000-07-21 14:52:00
Lists: pgsql-sql

A while back I as told (by Tom Lane I *think*) that timestamp (previously
datetime) fields couldn't be indexed as such and that I should index them
using this method :

CREATE INDEX "applicants_resubmitted" on "applicants" using btree ( date
("resubmitted") "date_ops" );

Since almost all the queries that search that field search it casting the
field to date, I thought that would be OK.. It was for a while (in the 6.5.X
days) but it seems that 7.0.2 is treating this different. I can't get an
index scan on that field no matter what I do.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

-Mitch