Re: [INTERFACES] MS Access 97 and Pass-through SQL

From: "David Hartwig" <daybee(at)bellatlantic(dot)net>
To: "Gregg Berkholtz" <gregg(at)gbcomputers(dot)com>
Cc: "Access Developer listserv" <accessd(at)mtgroup(dot)com>, "Postgres interface list" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] MS Access 97 and Pass-through SQL
Date: 1999-01-24 02:05:28
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Nice query. :) PostgreSQL supports inner joins logicly, but not
using this INNER JOIN syntax. Perhaps in 6.5. The Jet, as you probably
know, rewrites this query w/o the INNER JOIN stuff.\

Here is something you can try to speed up your query. I don't have M$
Access handy to recall the exact place this is set. But, there is a place
where you can set the property of a query to be a "snapshot" instead of
"dynaset". ( I think a right button click above the query definition.)

If you are not aware of what is happening with a dynaset vs a snapshot, I
strongly recommend reading up on them.

Also, I suggest you turn on the CommLog and keep track of the actual
queries that are being generated. The difference between a dynaset and a
snapshot may interest you. It may also help you in determiming where
bottlenecks exist - by cut/pasting the generated queries directly into the
psql monitor.