Re: Scaling with memory & disk planning (was Re: Non-linear Performance)

From: "Steve Wolfe" <steve(at)iboats(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Scaling with memory & disk planning (was Re: Non-linear Performance)
Date: 2002-05-30 17:50:53
Lists: pgsql-general

> Keeping indexes on a separate drive is also traditional database advice,
> but I don't have any feeling for how much it matters in Postgres.

My gut feeling is that you'd be better off taking two drives and
striping them RAID 0 instead of putting data on one and indexes on
another. Either way, you have the same potential total throughput, but if
they're in the RAID array, then you can use the total throughput more
easily, and in more situations - you don't have to depend on reading two
seperate pieces of data simultaneously to utilize the entire throughput.

steve