naming conventions constraint

From: "Julian North" <julian(at)mulberryst(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: naming conventions constraint
Date: 2003-10-23 20:30:59
Lists: pgsql-sql

I'm at the very beginning of working with postgres.

The aim is to replace / build a number of very large and very complex
database currently residing in Oracle, MSSQL and Informix.

In order to coordinate across a medium size DBA team I instituted a standard
constraint naming convention suitable for the above 3 platforms.

For example a foreign key would be FK_table#reftable#column.

Unfortunately I don't appear to be able to use it with postgres.

This is because I can't use the # character in constraint names.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to an alternative that is also a single
char? (I'm limited to 30 chars cos of oracle and manyof the current names at
the limit).

Any help appreciated,

Julian.