Help with installing 6.5.3 on RedHat6.1 - specifying template

From: "Chris Carbaugh" <Chris(at)LeerElectric(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Help with installing 6.5.3 on RedHat6.1 - specifying template
Date: 2000-03-03 14:08:26
Lists: pgsql-general

Good day all,

This message has been sent to pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org and
scrappy(at)hub(dot)org(dot)

I am trying to install Postgresql from source under RedHat 6.1.
The system is a fresh install with the bare minimum packages that I
need.

I have flex 2.5.4 installed (if it matters).

The system is a AMD K6-2/400 running RedHat6.0 with a VMWare virtual machine
running RedHat6.1 (I am trying to install under 6.1 in the virtual machine).

When I run ./configure with no options I get the message:

cheching host system type... configure: error: can not guess host type: you
must specify one

So I try to run:

./configure --with-template=linux_i386

as well as

./configure --with-template=/usr/src/local/src/pgsql/postgresql-6.5.3/src/te
mplate/linux_i386

both of these give the same message about specifying the template to use.

/usr/src/local/src/pgsql/ is where I uzipped/untarred the source tarball

./config.guess closes with no output.

I have successfully installed the same source package under RedHat 6.0 on
the same machine (the host to the VMWare virtual machine) once before.

This is only my second attempt at installing postgres, so I am not sure if I
am missing something simple.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Chris