PostGIS data loader / dumper - GSOC 2022 Idea

From: "Regina Obe" <lr(at)pcorp(dot)us>
To: <pgadmin-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PostGIS data loader / dumper - GSOC 2022 Idea
Date: 2022-02-19 22:51:14
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

In pgAdmin3, our ESRI shapefile loader /dumper GUI was installable as a
plugin. We lost that feature with pgAdmin4.

To get this feature back, I was thinking that our command line tools would
be easier to integrate in pgAdmin4 than the gui
and also solve the issue of our GUI not packaged on many OS.

The command line tools I am thinking about are these that are part of the
PostGIS code base and generally installable even on headless systems.
shp2pgsql (ESRI shape file loader) and pgsql2shp (ESRI shapefile dumper)

These could be set up in much the same way as how the Backup / Restore /
export/import (call pg_dump, pg_restore, psql)

This would require the user to have PostGIS command-line tools and PostGIS
in database installed to use it and the binaries in the PostgreSQL bin
folder.
For windows these files are always installed in PostgreSQL bin when PostGIS
is installed. I think on Linux they are installed in system.

Do you see any issues with the idea I've outlined in Idea 2:

https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/wiki/GoogleSummerCode2022

I haven't looked that closely at how those pieces in pgAdmin4 work so not
sure how difficult the task and if it makes sense for a GSOC project.

Thanks,
Regina