Timing problem wtih pg_stat_activity

From: "Donald Fraser" <postgres(at)kiwi-fraser(dot)net>
To: "[ADMIN]" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Timing problem wtih pg_stat_activity
Date: 2007-10-10 17:12:37
Lists: pgsql-admin

PostgreSQL 8.1.9, Linux Redhat ES 4

I am experiencing a timing issue with the following query:
SELECT count(procpid) FROM pg_stat_activity WHERE usename='someuser'

If I execute the above query by the client who is user "someuser" and it is executed immediately after connecting I am getting two different results depending on the speed of the connection. If I connect to the database on a local area network of 100Mb/s and immediately execute the statement, I see the result of 0. If I connect to the same database over a slow connection, for example 115kb/s and immediately execute the statement, I see the result of 1.

Is this normal behaviour?

Regards
Donald Fraser