are views typically any faster/slower than equivilent joins?

From: "Brian Tarbox" <btarbox(at)theworld(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: are views typically any faster/slower than equivilent joins?
Date: 2003-06-01 02:55:18
Lists: pgsql-performance

I am working with a highly normalized database. Most of my meaningful
queries involve joins from a primary table to 4-6 secondary tables.

Would my query performance be significantly faster/slower using a View as
opposed to a prepared query using join?

(Assume all join fields are ints, say 10,000 records in main table and a few
dozen records in each of the secondary tables).

Thank you.

Brian Tarbox