Re: "Multiple-step OLE DB operation generated errors" in pgAdmin II:frmSQLOutput.LoadGrid

From: "Thomas Sandford" <thomas(at)paradisegreen(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: "Multiple-step OLE DB operation generated errors" in pgAdmin II:frmSQLOutput.LoadGrid
Date: 2002-06-23 09:31:22
Lists: pgadmin-support

"Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk> wrote:
> Thomas Sandford [mailto:thomas(at)paradisegreen(dot)co(dot)uk] wrote:
> > I am getting the error message
> >
> > "Error in pgAdmin II:frmSQLOutput.LoadGrid: -2147217887 -
> > Multiple-step OLE DB operation generated errors. Check each
> > OLE DB status value, if available. No work was done."
> >
> > when trying to do a basic query (select * from staff, or
> > click the button that has the same effect) on a table with
> > the following definition:
> If you run the same query but order by sid, can you inspect the last
> record shown, and the next record to see if there are any odd characters
> in any of the data?
>
> Also, try adding a "WHERE sid != <sid>" to the end of the query to
> exclude the last and then the following record to try to load the entire
> table bar the record that is causing the problem. If we can narrow it
> down to one record it should be easier to figure out.

OK - I've found the problem - two records had [valid but] peculiar dates -
we were trying to backfill the database from manual records.

You can replicate the problem by creating a record from random [valid] data,
then running the update query:

update staff set dob = '0001-01-01 BC' where sid = <your record number>

This will reproducibly produce the error noted when the table is queried
(brief experimentation suggests that any BC date will do).

It's no longer a problem for me (I've simply set the dob in the records
concerned to NULL - I don't have many staff over 2000 years old!!) but I
guess you might want to see if the error is Microsofts or in PGAdmin
(someone might have more need to store BC dates than I do).

As stated before - I am working with PGAdmin 1.2.0.
--
Thomas Sandford | thomas(at)paradisegreen(dot)co(dot)uk