Best ODBC cursor and lock types for fastest reading?

From: "Robert John Shepherd" <robert(at)reviewer(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Best ODBC cursor and lock types for fastest reading?
Date: 2003-04-29 13:53:18
Lists: pgsql-performance

I access Postgresql through the ODBC driver, and always only read small
recordsets (never updating them) with forward cursors.

The following options are defined in ADO with which I can create a
recordset with:

Cursor types:
adOpenForwardOnly (what I currently use)
adOpenKeyset
adOpenDynamic
adOpenStatic

Lock types:
adLockReadOnly
adLockPessimistic
adLockOptimistic (what I currently use)
adLockBatchOptimistic

Do any of these offer a performance gain over others? I used to use
adLockReadOnly with MS-SQL which really sped things up but this doesn't
seem to work at all under Postgresql and I've been using
adLockOptimistic instead.

Yours Unwhettedly,
Robert John Shepherd.

Editor
DVD REVIEWER
The UK's BIGGEST Online DVD Magazine
http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk

For a copy of my Public PGP key, email: pgp(at)robertsworld(dot)org(dot)uk