Re: idle in transaction

From: "Marc Mitchell" <marcm(at)eisolution(dot)com>
To: "'Warren Little'" <wlittle(at)securitylending(dot)com>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: idle in transaction
Date: 2004-02-15 17:10:50
Lists: pgsql-admin

We see the exact same condition when setting "setAutoCommit(FALSE)".
However, we expected that situation based on what we understand as the
way such a setting manifests itself within the
Multi-Statement-Transaction handling of Postgres. Furthermore, we saw
this exact same behavior under at least 7.3.4, if not 7.3.2 and maybe
even 7.2.something.

So long as the idled transaction isn't holding any locks on any data
resources, I don't know if this condition is a bad thing. It would be
nice to be able to differentiate between a transaction that has been
"declared" but has yet to really begin issuing any statements and take
locks from transactions that are idle "mid-transaction". The latter of
which spells death for a multi-user, OLTP application.

I'll be curious to hear others experience with this.

Marc Mitchell
Enterprise Information Solutions, Inc.
Downers Grove, IL 60515
marcm(at)eisolution(dot)com