Re: postgres on redhat 7.0

From: "Steve Wolfe" <steve(at)iboats(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgres on redhat 7.0
Date: 2000-10-31 22:03:44
Lists: pgsql-general

> I was the original poster. Really my confusion stemmed
> from the fact that upgrading from RH6.0 to RH7.0, 7.0
> complained (during boot) that my Postgress verision was outdated
> I need to upgrade. This threw me off.

Yeah, the init script that they provide checks what's in PG_VERSION, and
tells you to upgrade. The bad side is that it may have already overwritten
your old binaries, etc., making it difficult to do a dump. You'd have to
reinstall the old one, do the dump, then upgrade PostgreSQL, and then
reinsert.

Hopefully, their upgrade system was smart enough to not blindly overwrite
your old PostgreSQL installation. If it did blindy overwrite it, then it's
a very poorly written "upgrade", even Microsoft does better than that in a
lot of situations. It would give further validation to my refusal to ever
use RedHat's upgrade procedure.

This isn't to say that RedHat is the devil. Just that like all *nix
varieties, it has it's own behavioural deficiencies that need to be
recognized and worked around. If there was a *nix that didn't have
deficiencies, then all of the other varieties would quickly go away.

> In general I am pretty pissed at RH attitude to system
> upgrade, if I were working in a Production environment,
> I would either hire them and not try anything myself,
> which kinda contradicts the whole Linux philosophy.

Well, it certainly doesn't contradict the RedHat philosophy of "Give them
the product for free, then charge for support." ; )