Problem with BYTEA data types restoring dumped data from another postgres database

From: "Javier Alperte" <javier(dot)alperte(at)polymita(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Problem with BYTEA data types restoring dumped data from another postgres database
Date: 2003-01-28 16:09:27
Lists: pgsql-admin

I'm having the next problem with the BYTEA field types, when I try to
restore data into a new database from another postgres database (same
version, 7.2).

ERROR: Invalid UNICODE character sequence found (0xed5c30) pg_restore:
[archiver (db)] could not execute query: ERROR: Invalid UNICODE
character sequence found (0xed5c30) pg_restore: *** aborted because of
error

I'm running postgres in a Windows XP Pro system under Cygwin.

The dump command that I was run is (I also need export BLOB fields)
(This server is a Linux RedHat 7.3 with Postgres 7.2 system):

pg_dump -h 172.16.10.2 -Ft -b -D "databasename" >
"databasename".dmp

The sequence of actions that I'm doing are: (This another server is a
Windows XP Pro with Cygwin+Postgres 7.2 system)

dropdb "databasename"

createdb -E UNICODE -T template0 "databasename"

pg_restore.exe -Ft -v -d "databasename" "databasename".dmp