2GB file limit.

From: "Arsalan Zaidi" <azaidi(at)directi(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: 2GB file limit.
Date: 2001-12-31 08:06:17
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi.

I'm trying to COPY a rather large file (> 3GB) into a db. Unfortunately, the
COPY command throws an error telling me that the file is too large. I can
operate on the file using 'wc', 'cat' and even through Java, but when I try
and use vi to open it, it is automatically deleted.

What's up with this? Why can some programs access the file and others like
Postgresql and vim, not? I'm using 2.4.17 with ext3 on an x86 machine.

Thanks in advance.

--Arsalan

People often hate those things which they do not know, or cannot understand.
--Ali Ibn Abi Talib (AS)