Re: Don't know where to begin

From: <peter(at)jingo(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Don't know where to begin
Date: 2000-09-13 08:19:09
Lists: pgsql-novice

> Mark Cannata wrote:
> >I've been trying to use Postgresql on Redhat Linux for a while now
with
> >no success.
> >I can't get the postmaster to start (I'm trying to start it as
postgres)

> >I can't get initdb or createdb to run
> >the directory for pgsql is in /var/lib, is this the right directory?
> >I've read the postmaster man page and the documentation at the Postgres
> >site, but I can't seem to get anywhere.

Try this:
become root , then:
/etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql start

The manual (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/admin/postmaster-start.htm) says
the above script would be "/etc/rc.d/init.d/postgres.init" but the above is
where it lives on my Redhat setup.

You wouldn't need to be root if you know what the postrgres user's password
is.

Peter