Re: web interface for postgreSQL-P.S.

From: Alejandro Fernandez <ale(at)nin(dot)cx>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: web interface for postgreSQL-P.S.
Date: 2000-12-20 03:18:08
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi

I'd like to avoid "my language is better than yours" flames, but I think
there's 4 possibilities in a unix based environment. If you're on windows you
could use asp, but I have no idea about how it works, or if there's alibrary
for postgres on it.

PHP: should be very simple to use, I kicked together a little program that read
a select statement into an html table in just a little while (considering I
took ages to download it first). Lots of people use it, and there are good
resources on the net for it: http://www.php.net/

perl: higher learning curve, but quite c like and a lot of people use it. The
libraries that interface with postgres are easy to install and come with redhat
6.2 if that's what you're using. Perl has been around for ages, so it's what
most people use.

python: This is my first choice, being a beginner with this kind of thing. It's
very readable ,and I hear more scalable than perl: at my last job nobody could
understadn the patchwork, humungous perl script that ran the web interfaces
with the database, because the main developer left, and his code was
unreadable, and a collection of quick hacks. Python developers have made a
standard API for all database interfaces, and you can use a standard ODBC
library, so if you switch databases you probably don't have to tweak your code
much. PyGreSQL is a library that only works with postgres, but it doesn't
follow the API spec. It also comes with redhat 6.2, and probably 7.0. I've
given it a try, and it seems usable. A major linux online news/programming site
did a tutorial on that, that showed how to make your first steps with it. I can
dig it up for you if you want.

Java: I know you say you don't want to use java, but it might be worth it, if
the library that interfaces with it is simple. I hear servlets are getting to
be viable, and much quicker than before. Also, your code is going to be
probably more readable, and more scalable.

You can probably find out more by popping a question to the pgsql-interfaces
list, where they should know more.

Ale

On Mon, 18 Dec 2000, you wrote:
> >%_On Sat, Dec 16, 2000 at 07:30:45PM -0500, Andrew Dellinger wrote:
> >
> > I need to build a web interface for postgreSQL. Beyond doing something
> > with java, what are my options?
> >
> > I have been playing around with perl, but I can't figure out how to
> > get javascript and perl to interact.
> >
> > PS I need the interface to be dynamic (able to insert and modify
> > data).
>
> Um, javascript runs on the browser, perl and pgsql on the server, right?
> So they communicate via http.
>
> To get perl working with pgsql, get on CPAN and search on "postgres" and
> "database". There are at least four libraries that will do the job for
> you. For details, see the Perl Cookbook, Tom Christiansen et al.,
> O'Reilly, 1998.
>
> --
>
> -- C^2
>
> No windows were crashed in the making of this email.
>
> Looking for fine software and/or web pages?
> http://w3.trib.com/~ccurley

Alejandro Fernandez Bscp 5 Caledonian University
0141 586 3913 - ale(at)nin(dot)cx