pOSTGRESSQL dATABASE FILE SIZES

From: "Richard Sydney-Smith" <richard(at)ibisaustralia(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pOSTGRESSQL dATABASE FILE SIZES
Date: 2003-09-06 15:20:32
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Having just started to use POSTGRES 7.3.1 for windows I have been quite happy with most of the results.

However I have just checked the datafile sizes in my postgresql data directory and found it is 990mb. The original database concerned (Sybase SQL Anywhere 8) is 100mb in size.

In PGAdminII I have been clicking on the "Vacume/Analyse" button so why would the postgresql database be SO large? Is the data storage really that inefficient?

Thanks very much for a lovely product. But I will have to wait before promoting this package to clients. Its other problem is it does not re-start seemlessly if the user "crashes" the machine. Many users do not have very much experise at all when it comes to their machines.

Richard