Re: Database Design Question

From: A_Schnabel(at)t-online(dot)de (Andre Schnabel)
To: "Gonzo Rock" <GonzoRock(at)Excite(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Database Design Question
Date: 2001-07-27 19:06:50
Lists: pgsql-general

Don't really know, if I am a crack .. but ...

Your 1st Design would be faster when joining the tables in a query or view. Furthermore an index on the id's (should be integers, right?) would use much less storage space than an index on character-fields.

The 2nd design is preferred by theoretical purists. The data are much more selfexplaining. If you only have a Parts-record you can see to which Parttype an Costumer it belongs without qeurying the other tables. With your 1st design you had to.

I think it's a question of performance, storagespace and readability.
If you need high performace use the 1st Design.
If you need a design, readable by people who don't work day by day with it, use the 2nd method.

It's only my opinion, must not be right.

CU,
Andre