postgres docs (was Re: Crash during WAL recovery?)

From: Norman Clarke <norman(at)junkonline(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: postgres docs (was Re: Crash during WAL recovery?)
Date: 2000-11-27 21:58:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

Before the Thanksgiving holiday here in the US I had been following with
great interest the thread regarding Vadim's English and the postgres docs.
Since this was posted about 200 messages ago, I replied as a new thread... I
hope you don't mind!

I am interested in volunteering some time to helping with the documentation
if the developers feel that I could be of service. I am not a C coder,
although I do a lot of CGI programming in PHP and Perl. Mostly I am a
database and Unix systems administrator for Combimatrix, a biotech company
near Seattle, Washington. Although I'm not a technical writer, I have some
background in writing, having been an English composition instructor at the
University of Connecticut and a Spanish and Linguistics major in college
before that.

I'm fairly new to Postgres, but for the last two months I have been helping
develop applications in Java and PHP that rely on it, and have become by and
large comfortable with it. I had used MySQL for most of my work over the last
two years and now find myself wondering how I ever got anything done.

Please, no one should take this the wrong way, but despite its lack of
important features relative to Postgres, I very much enjoyed working with
MySQL in large part because of its nicely organized and constantly updated
documentation. Quite honestly this is the one area where Postgres still needs
to catch up, and if there's any way at all I can help make that happen I
would like to be involved.

So, if you think I can be of any service, please let me know.

Best regards,

Norm