Re: PGSQL 8-beta For WinXP Home Edition Instructions

From: George Weaver <gweaver(at)shaw(dot)ca>
To: operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PGSQL 8-beta For WinXP Home Edition Instructions
Date: 2004-08-15 12:11:45
Lists: pgsql-novice

I think you would find it very helpful to use the official (and extensive) on-line documentation provided with PostgreSQL (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/index.html). Most of the challenges you're facing and the questions you have are addressed in the documentation. You might find the FAQ site particularly useful (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs/FAQ.html) as well.

For example, to start and stop PostgreSQL manually use pg_ctl (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/app-pg-ctl.html). You seem to indicate that you used pg_ctl, but also refer to trying to start the postmaster as a service. If you start postmaster with pg_ctl, the postmaster is running and you don't need to start it as a service.

If you're interested in how to start it as a service for future reference, I would strongly suggest reading the installation guide prepared by Jason Tishler (see http://www.tishler.net/jason/software/postgresql/?M=A for the guide applicable to your situation).

To access postgreSQL once it has been started you can use "psql" (no "g") in a console (DOS) window as an interactive terminal. You must be in a DOS window to start it (see http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/app-psql.html for starting instructions and command line options).

Or you can use the graphical administration program PgAdmin III (see http://www.pgadmin.org/pgadmin3/index.php).

For a complete list of PostgreSQL documentation see http://www.postgresql.org/docs/.

HTH,
George