Re: PostgreSQL Advocacy, Thoughts and Comments

From: "Chris Travers" <chris(at)travelamericas(dot)com>
To: "Tony" <tony(at)unihost(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Advocacy, Thoughts and Comments
Date: 2003-11-30 12:49:04
Lists: pgsql-general

Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Advocacy, Thoughts and CommentsRegarding the
learning curve issue, maybe people can recommend their favorite books. I
recommend "SQL Unleashed" (I forget the author), pub. Samms. "SQL For
Smarties" also gets recommended often around here, but again, I don't know
the author (or in this case, even the publisher). Maybe there are others
too that people can recommend.

As for the paper-- I think your title is good ("PostgreSQL - Ideal for any
application development"), and I will have to look at how to organize it. I
wanted to cover the following topics:
1) Different types of databases, and what is meant by Object Relational
2) Enterprise-ready features (Views, Stored Proceedures, Subselects, etc.)
3) RDBMS tasks and how these features fit in.

Perhaps a followup paper could be written as a basic treatise in database
design.

The other issues I am seing here involve finding a suitable venue for
publication. Any suggestions here are welcome also.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers