Re: ipc-daemon initdb postmaster

From: <gnudev(at)ozemail(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "Jason Tishler" <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ipc-daemon initdb postmaster
Date: 2001-10-01 03:51:26
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Hi Jason,

> > Yes, I'm using Windows 98.
>
> The above explains the "It seems to be as buggy as hell." comment. :,)

Hahaha!! Yes.

> > How do I tell which version of cygwin I have?
>
> $ uname -a

Oh thanks. I didn't know that. Cygwin is certainly very mysterious....

> Please try to debug the above. gdb would be best, but at least use
> strace:
>
> $ strace -o psql.log psql ...
>
> and send the output to cygwin(at)cygwin(dot)com(dot)

I'll do that and see what I come up with.

> Since I do not have access to 9x/Me, I cannot debug this problem myself.
>
> BTW, I believe this to be a generic socket problem under Cygwin on 9x/Me
> which really has nothing specifically to do with PostgreSQL. You can
> try to search through the Cygwin archives to see if you can come up with
> a resolution. I tried a while ago but came up only with questions and
> unfortunately, no answers. :,(

Yes, I have many unanswered questions. Things from some lists such as
"You're way out of your depth" are very unhelpful, also...

> Just another WAG, but is your 98 the original version or SE? Maybe your
> MS Winsock stuff needs to be upgraded?

SE with updates, from the CD MS sends out to everyone who bought an upgrade
from Windows 95. My system seems to be Windows 95 patched to be Windows 98
patched to be Windows 98 SE patched to be Windows 98 SE with updates. ;-P

James