Re: RFC: PostgreSQL and MySQL comparison.

From: "Mitch Vincent" <mvincent(at)cablespeed(dot)com>
To: "PostgreSQL General List" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RFC: PostgreSQL and MySQL comparison.
Date: 2001-08-29 14:23:53
Lists: pgsql-general

> > I'm willing to put this on techdocs.postgresql.org, as long as I feel
> > it's been written for the right reasons.
> >
> > i.e. I'm all for a document(s) which helps people needing a good, solid,
> > Open Source database needing transactions, ACID features, etc. But, I'm
> > definitely not for a document which will incite PostgreSQL-vs-MySQL
> > warfare and not try and get people to choost the appropriate product(s).
>
> Don't worry, it'll incite a riot no matter how accurate it is.

I'm not sure that much of that last MySQL write-up was inaccurate though
it's presentation was clearly meant to promote MySQL and not to compare
MySQL and PostgreSQL.. The MySQL guys want to emphasize MySQL's strong
points and downplay it's weak ones.. That's good marketing any way you look
at it but I don't think that such a document is little more than marketing
propeganda. I didn't see any mention of what was coming up in PostgreSQL 8,
though they sure wanted everyone to know what would be in MySQL 4..... Note
that I would say the same thing about a document written with a PostgreSQL
bias if it was written in the same way that this document was...

-Mitch