From: "Richard Huxton" <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2001-07-24 13:55:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

OK, so I've defined a grammar for string_expr, which means the following
currently works:

CREATE FUNCTION foo_raise_loop(text) RETURNS text AS '
DECLARE
a ALIAS FOR $1;
i integer;
myrec RECORD;
BEGIN
i:=0;
FOR myrec IN SELECT * FROM colours LOOP
i:=i+1;
RAISE NOTICE a || '' : '' || '' colour % is '' || myrec.c_name ||
''.'', i, myrec.c_id;
END LOOP;
RETURN ''done''::text;
END;' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

SELECT foo_raise_loop('Looping (%)');

Which produces (note the % nr Looping gets evaluated):

NOTICE: Looping (1) : colour 1 is red.
NOTICE: Looping (2) : colour 2 is green.
NOTICE: Looping (3) : colour 3 is blue.

What you haven't got are: brackets, casts, function calls, other operators
(can't do i+1).

I'm going to be out of town for a few days then busy for a couple of weeks.
Throw in a week to debug,document and apply against CVS and we're into
August. So - do you want it with current functionality or should I press on?

- Richard Huxton