bug

From: David Orr <dave(at)daveorr(dot)fsnet(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: simon(dot)brooke(at)weft(dot)co(dot)uk
Subject: bug
Date: 2000-10-31 16:25:50
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Your name : Dave Orr
Your email address : dave(at)weft(dot)co(dot)uk

System Configuration
---------------------
Architecture (example: Intel Pentium) :Intel Pentium

Operating System (example: Linux 2.0.26 ELF) :Linux 2-2.14-lmdklinus

PostgreSQL version (example: PostgreSQL-7.0): PostgreSQL-7.0.2

Compiler used (example: gcc 2.8.0) :gcc 2.95.2

I create two tables where a field in one is constrained to only contain values
that exist in a field in the other. I create a group and grant all on the
constrained table to that group. I grant the group select on the constraining
table. I add a user to the group. When the user tries to insert into the
constrained table, I get permission denied.

I need to grant update on the constraining table in order to insert a record
into the constrained table

Please describe a way to repeat the problem. Please try to provide a
Create a database named test. Run this script into it:

create table by_me(
needed int primary key
);
insert into by_me values(1);

create table im_constrained(
field1 int,

constraint im_constrained_by_me foreign key ( field1)
references by_me
match full
on delete no action
);

create group test;
grant select,update,delete,insert on im_constrained to group test;
grant select on by_me to group test;

Add a user to group "test"
suid to that user and try to add a record

test=> insert into im_constrained values(1);
ERROR: by_me: Permission denied.

If you know how this problem might be fixed, list the solution below:

  • Re: bug at 2000-10-31 18:52:51 from Stephan Szabo