Re: records chaining

From: George Weaver <gweaver(at)shaw(dot)ca>
To: tövis <tovises(at)freemail(dot)hu>, pgsql novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: records chaining
Date: 2005-04-20 10:40:51
Lists: pgsql-novice

You may want to check out the following article from PostgreSQL General Bits
that seems to relate directly to your question:

Distributed Indexing with Table Inheritance -
http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/98.php:

"The best example of this is a table which grows in time. Suppose you have a
log table of customer support calls that you keep over a very long period of
time. The application requires 1) most queries are on the current time set
and 2) occassional queries are required for the entire data set. You can
create a parent table and one child table of current information and other
child tables populated with archived data. The child tables look exactly
like the parent table in this case. "

Regards,
George