first user

From: "Robert Morgan" <robert_(at)ihug(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: first user
Date: 2003-12-10 04:35:55
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi I have installed RH9.0 with postgresql. When I try to log on using su - postgres it wants a password? I thought "postgres" was the default user that is used for the initial logon before any other users had been created.
Using just "postgres" at prompt gives a message " postgres does not know where to find the database system data...."
How can I logon to create other users?
I'm using the embedded version of postgresql that comes with RH9.0
Any help appreciated.

Bob