problem to connect with postmaster services

From: valcauda Stéphane <valcauda(dot)aderis(at)wanadoo(dot)fr>
To: <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: problem to connect with postmaster services
Date: 2002-09-30 22:36:21
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

I have installed postgresql 2.95 with cygwin under W2000 without problems.
But since I have reboot to be on my own account ("Stéphane" , with accent).
I can't succeed in lauching postmaster service.
"net start postmaster" give me back an 1069 error , fail to open session.

I can start postgres if I open 2 cygwin session :
One where I launch " /usr/bin/postmaster -D /usr/share/postgresql/data", the
session waiting until I shutdown.

the second one where I launch "psql -U postgres ..."

Is it a good way. Does my error while launching postmaster service can make
me have problems while using postgresql.

I want to user postgresql with my student, on network to show them
transactions and others functions, does I have to
do something else to work with Postgresql on a network (If I have
understood, I must open a server session with the net start services and the
" /usr/bin/postmaster -D /usr/share/postgresql/data" command.

thanks for help

Stéphane Valcauda
Independent Engineer / Teacher in Dijon's University
France