Problems linking to libpq

From: "Jim Morcombe" <robust(at)vianet(dot)net(dot)au>
To: "pgsql novice" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Problems linking to libpq
Date: 2002-07-16 03:59:57
Lists: pgsql-novice

have started at the beginning of the PostSQL Programmer's Guide and have typed in part of example 1.1 on page 23.

I have followed the instructions in section 1.12 for building the program.

The program compiles cleanly using the instructions in the manual :
cc -I/usr/local/pgsql/include jim.c

I then compile it with the instruction
cc -o jim jim.o -L/usr/local/pgsql/lib -lpq

However, I get the following errors:

Undefined symbol
PQfinish
PQsetdbLogin
pqstatus
fprint
PQerrorMessage

The manual says this occurs if I forgot the -lpq option, which I have not done.

I am using SCO Unix.

Can anyone help me?

Jim Morcoombe