getting started with libpq and postgresql

From: "Damar Thapa" <damar(at)sst(dot)com(dot)hk>
To: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: getting started with libpq and postgresql
Date: 2001-11-01 09:45:48
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hi!,

I am trying to use libpq (C interface) to write client program to access PostGreSQL database.

I copied an example program from PostgreSQL: Introduction and Concepts by Bruce Momjian.

To compile the above said program, I did:

gcc -o ctest ctest.c /*I named the copied program as ctest.c*/

I got an error message, saying "libpq-fe.h not found".

In my linux RH7.1, I found libpq-fe.h in /usr/include/pgsql directory, so I replace the line '#include "libpq-fe.h"' in ctest.c with'#include "/usr/include/pgsql/libpq-fe.h"'. I did not get the above-said error, but the followings:

/tmp/ccgwexRo.0: In function 'main':

/tmp/ccgwexRr.o(.txt+0x12): undefined reference to 'PQconnectdb'
/tmp/ccgwexRr.o(.txt+0x2b): undefined reference to 'PQstatus'
/tmp/ccgwexRr.o(.txt+0x5c): undefined reference to 'PQerrorMessage'
/tmp/ccgwexRr.o(.txt+0xd4): undefined reference to 'PQexec'

7 more lines like these.

Having these errors, I obviously have not done things correctly.

Do I have to do any setting in gcc or compilation has to be done differently.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

With regards,

Damar Thapa