round() and ||

From: "Graeme Merrall" <gmerrall(at)email(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: round() and ||
Date: 2000-01-20 02:42:56
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi.
I'm having a lot of trouble concatenating some fields along witha rounded number. services_cost is a float field field and I want to convert it to 2 decimal places so it appears as money. I could store it as money but mathematical operations are performed on the same field further down the line so I don't want it 'pre-formatted'

SELECT round(services_cost,2) as test_field FROM services
works fine but
SELECT round(services_cost,2)::text as test_field FROM services
as various other variations does not.

The reason I need to do this is so join this field and a text field together
SELECT services_type || '|' || round(services_cost,2) AS services_list FROM services;

but pgsql complains that it can't join a numeric plus a text field obviously. I'm pretty stuck on this one.

Cheers,
Graeme