Re: 8.0 Beta3 worked, RC1 didn't!

From: "A(dot) Mous" <a(dot)mous(at)shaw(dot)ca>
To: "'Joshua D(dot) Drake'" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.0 Beta3 worked, RC1 didn't!
Date: 2004-12-22 06:19:37
Lists: pgsql-general

The SSL line in postgresql.conf has not been touched. By default it should
be set to false. Also, the pg_hba file is set to allow all clients in, no
authentication (TRUST).

I have not seen this problem in any other installation. Note as well, the
only way to access the server in question is via a remote connection (Remote
Administrator). I do remember, however, that even before attempting remote
connections to the database, the same error message would also occur
'locally' (through remote administrator, but I don't see how this interface
would factor into the problem.

I can't see how this would be a result of a configuration setting. If I
install RC1 and attempt a connection locally (before modifying any configs)
it fails with the aforementioned error message. Uninstall RC1 and install
beta 3 and it works (this is repeatable).

One more thing...I may be wrong on this one because I was not paying
attention as well as I should have, but I seem to remember that following
one of my RC1 installation attempts, I was able to log into psql locally,
but only once. After that I was denied every time. Again, I *think* this
is what happened!

Thanks,
Peter