getting rid of CTIDs

From: "mvali(at)hot" <mvali(at)hot(dot)ee>
To: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: getting rid of CTIDs
Date: 2002-05-13 15:45:16
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hello
We script ADO with VB over pgODBC and we intend
to use server-side recordsets (the ODBC cursor
handling that is). The data is to be fetched from
views and updated as well using rules.

Now having defined a dumb table WITHOUT OIDS
and created insert/update/select rules that select
OID from one of the tables in the join,

create table v(oid oid, id int4, ...) without oids;
create rule "_RETv" as on select to v do instead
(
SELECT a.oid, a.id, b... FROM a, b WHERE b.a_id = a.id
),

we still have the problem that the driver uses CTID's to
enforce optimistic locking despite Row versioning
switched off.

Now how can we effectively turn off optimistic locking
done with CTID-s in the driver and go on with plain
OIDs?

We've already considered to hack the driver to replace
the CTID to something that we could match in the views
(the views have automatically their own ctid-s so we
could for example make the ODBC driver select ctid2 instead or
even disable the feature in general to have the row
identification done only with OIDs).

regards,
mv