RE: [HACKERS] Re: ALTER TABLE DROP COLUMN

From: "Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: "The Hermit Hacker" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "PostgreSQL Development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: [HACKERS] Re: ALTER TABLE DROP COLUMN
Date: 2000-02-28 04:25:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

[snip]

> Okay, just curious here, but ... what you are proposing *sounds* to me
> like half-way to what started this thread. (*Please* correct me if I'm
> wrong) ...

My proposal is essentially same as what I proposed once in this thread.
I don't think DROP COLUMN feature is very important.
DROP/ADD CONSTRAINT feature seems much more important.
Why do you want a heavy iplementation like vacuum after 2x disk
usage for this feature ?
My implementation won't touch the target table at all and would never
remove dropped columns practically. It would only make them invisible
and NULL would be set for newly insert/updated columns.

If you want a really clean table for DROP TABLE command,my
proposal is useless.

Regards.

Hiroshi Inoue
Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp