Re: Win32 Postgresql Command Line Password Specification

From: "Iain" <iain(at)mst(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: "Andrei Bintintan" <klodoma(at)ar-sd(dot)net>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Win32 Postgresql Command Line Password Specification
Date: 2005-02-08 08:37:54
Lists: pgsql-admin

I think that's the best way to do it.

Rather than leave passwords lying around in script files, it might be best
to trust a specific (specially created) user when running from a specific
location on the specific database. Then you just have to keep that user
account secure. I can imagine how it would work wth linux, but am not sure
what problems youmay face under windows.

The only other alternative I can imagine is to use another program to type
the password in automatically. I've never done it but I'm sure such a beast
must exist.

The long and the short of it is (at least upto 7.4.6 - I don't know about
later versions) thereis no way to specify the password on the commandline.

Regards
Iain