msg translation into sk_SK, Docs: SGML -> XML

From: "BARTKO, Zoltan" <bartko(dot)zoltan(at)pobox(dot)sk>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: msg translation into sk_SK, Docs: SGML -> XML
Date: 2004-01-29 07:29:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dear Hackers,

First: I think I have sent out a msg with no body. I'm sorry, I have to communicate thru a weird Win98 machine, it gets things screwed up sometimes.

I would like to take up the translation of pgsql msg strings into slovak (sk_SK). It is fairly similar to czech (cz_CZ), so it should go quite fast. Please stand up, if you have any objections.

The other thing I wanted to ask:

I made the translation of parts of the 7.2 manual in slovak (tutorial, users manual, admin's manual almost ready) that time I thought I would publish it, but Bruce Momjian's book appeared in the bookstores a few weeks ago. I decided I would go on with the translation and use the sgml files (my translation was formatted as a LyX document) and a message translating program. I wanted to use KBabel, but that understands .po(t) files only. To have a .pot file I could use xml2po, but I need xml. I can convert sgml to xml myself, but it would be easier to have it done centrally - perhaps other languages would want their docs in their native language too. Once it is ready, the changes could be easily incorporated before the respective releases.

I remember having seen an email by Karel Zak on this topic, but I do not really remember the consequences, so someone could kindly enlighten me.

Cheers

Zoltan