Re: Problem when adding an existing primary key

From: "Insyde" <insyde(at)insyde(dot)com(dot)br>
To: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problem when adding an existing primary key
Date: 2003-02-03 10:52:26
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-novice

----- Original Message -----
From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Insyde" <insyde(at)insyde(dot)com(dot)br>; <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Sent: Sunday, February 02, 2003 6:28 PM
Subject: Re: [BUGS] Problem when adding an existing primary key

> Ricardo,
>
> > When I try to insert via application a registry that already exists
> > Postgres shows an error "Unable to insert duplicate primary key on
> > 'index' ". I think it's an error, because I would treat this error, just
> > like others.
>
> You're getting that message becuase you are trying to insert a value into
the
> PK column which is a duplicate of a value already present. This is not
> permitted ... definitionally, primary keys must be unique.
>
> In other words, the above is a valid error message being sent to you
because
> you violated a table constraint.
>
> If there is more to the story than that, I suggest that you post your
problems
> to the PGSQL-NOVICE mailing list, where other users will help you fix your
> queries. For that matter, I believe that there are other Brazillians on
some
> of the other mailing lists (you could try PGSQL-GENERAL as well), which
would
> spare you the pain of translating your questions.
>
> --
> Josh Berkus
> Aglio Database Solutions
> San Francisco

But what if I have a program and I want to show and error message to the
user saying
something like: "This registry already exists" and simply don't add?
Instead, Postgres is
closing the application! This should not happen. If I've got this message
using psql OK,
but inside my programs I should control the messages I what to display to
the user, don't
you think? Or, every time the user forget and insert a duplicated primary
key, he will be
obbligated to see postgres message?

Ricardo.