Requiring Ant 1.5 for build breaks JDK 1.1 compatibility

From: "Renaud Waldura" <renaud(at)waldura(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Requiring Ant 1.5 for build breaks JDK 1.1 compatibility
Date: 2003-01-20 06:51:52
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Dear PostgreSQL JDBC driver developers,

I was pleased to find that your JDBC driver for PostgreSQL only requires JDK
1.1 for minimal functionality. Congratulations and thank you for doing so.

Unfortunately building the driver requires Ant 1.5, which itself requires
JDK 1.2. This dependency breaks the ability to compile and use the driver on
a JDK 1.1 platform such as mine.

I tried to build the driver with Ant 1.4, which only requires JDK 1.1, and
it worked in fact just fine, apart from some minor problems for which I
include a patch. It appears to me the Ant 1.5 (thus JDK 1.2) dependency is a
rather weak one, and only present for convenience reasons.

As this breaks JDK 1.1 compatibility, which the driver itself supports, I
wish you would reconsider, and maybe altogether drop, this dependency.
Thanks!

The included patch allowed me to cleanly build and compile version 7.3.1 of
the JDBC driver on FreeBSD 4.2.

--Renaud

Attachment Content-Type Size
pgsql-patch.txt application/octet-stream 2.2 KB