Geometry Functions

From: Randall Barber <rdb55(at)email(dot)byu(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Geometry Functions
Date: 2002-06-27 17:21:46
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi there,

I'm trying to use the "nifty" functionality of your geometry. I've found several uses for it thus far, but there is one thing I want to do, that I can't figure out. Although I am confident that this can not be done, I thought I would ask anyways:

Given a closed "path" is it possible to run the "area(path '(())')" function on it and get a size? Is there a "bounding box" function in PgSQL that I can use to simulate area (or do I need to bound on my own)?

My favorite function that you have is the "in" function. Life/Time saver right there :).

Thanks in advance for your responses.
RDB