Pgsql question

From: "Ken Mathieu" <ken(at)ekwest(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Pgsql question
Date: 2001-12-11 05:11:15
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi there,

First i must say that iv started using pgsql recently(on a linux redhat apache server with mod perl "DBI"). I have this problem after a little while there is too many pgsql process hanging "idle" and when we try to connect the server say: psql: Sorry, too many clients already when im trying to connect from the shell.

All the scripts im running connect once and use the same connection for the runtime then disconnect() at the end... but some process are starting to get idle(i can see them while doing a "top"... I heard that i could get raise number of connection (default suppose to be 32 ?) but i cant find the way or the documentation to do it. Im using this command to start the postmaster:

pg_ctl -l /export/datafiles/pgsql/postmaster.log -D /export/datafiles/pgsql/data start

and iv tried these option "-i -B 256 -N 128" but it always say bad param, there is no documentation in pg_ctl --help concerning this issue.

Its will probably be easy for a postgress teamember to anser me :)

Thanks in advance, Ken