How to get ODBC going?

From: "Warren Odom" <warren-odom(at)stenocall(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: How to get ODBC going?
Date: 2000-07-18 13:47:41
Lists: pgsql-novice

I've studied the docs and searched the archives, and also the ODBC driver
info on the web site, and sorry but I still can't tell how to get this done.
This is what I want to do: I have PostgreSQL database on Linux and I want
to access it from Windows 95, using MS Access (but possibly other tools in
the future).

First I thought I needed to install an ODBC driver on the Linux side to do
this (and the docs seemed to agree). But I couldn't find any. Then I found
the ODBC info on the Postgres web site, and it seems to say I need to
install the PsqlODBC driver on the Windows side instead. So I did, but now
I'm stuck.

The instructions don't match what I'm seeing on my system. They say to go
to the ODBC Manager in Control Panel, and "First, select your favorite
datasource to configure. Then in the "PostgreSQL Driver Setup" dialog,
select under "Options (Advanced)" either the Driver button or Datasource
button. This will bring up another dialog box which contains options you can
configure." Well, first, my desired data source in this case is Postgres,
but there's no Postgres listed. Even if I choose another data source
there's no "PostgreSQL Driver Setup" button. So this is why I'm stuck.

I even reinstalled the PsqlODBC driver on Windows to make sure it's there.
So the question is now what am I supposed to do?

Thanks for any help -- Warren