Can we amend gitignore so git postgresql works with git on windows using Msys/Mingw64

From: "Regina Obe" <lr(at)pcorp(dot)us>
To: "'PostgreSQL-development'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Can we amend gitignore so git postgresql works with git on windows using Msys/Mingw64
Date: 2016-03-25 20:26:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom et. al,

Thanks for fixing the SRF function order by thing. That test now passes
now, but there is one other test failing I was going to troubleshoot.

The problem is I can't compile from git postgresql, and the issue is I think
because my git when it pulls down the files they come in as CRLF which gets
all screwed up when compiling under msys/ mingw64.
So I end up with non-sense messages like this:

In file included from libpq-int.h:44:0,
from fe-auth.h:18,
from fe-auth.c:42:
../../../src/include/libpq/pqcomm.h:44:8: error: redefinition of 'struct
sockaddr_storage'
struct sockaddr_storage
^
In file included from ../../../src/include/pg_config_os.h:37:0,
from ../../../src/include/c.h:101,
from ../../../src/include/postgres_fe.h:25,
from fe-auth.c:23:
c:/ming64gcc48/mingw64/x86_64-w64-mingw32/include/winsock2.h:260:10: note:
originally defined here
struct sockaddr_storage {
^
In file included from libpq-int.h:44:0,
from fe-auth.h:18,
from fe-auth.c:42:
../../../src/include/libpq/pqcomm.h:49:3: error: unknown type name 'int64'
int64 ss_align; /* ensures struct is properly aligned */

For other projects I work on, I usually put in the .gitattributes these
lines

*.sh eol=lf
*.in eol=lf
*.h.in eol=lf
*.h eol=lf

Right now to overcome the issue, I always have to run the folder thru
dos2unix or just build from the tar ball instead.

If you don't think it would pose problems for anyone else, that would be
helpful.

I imagine the only people it might are MS VS people, but then they probably
have no issue building from tar ball, which comes out all line feed anyway.
So I assume it wouldn't be an issue for them either.

Thanks,
Regina