client interface docs

From: "Reggie Burnett" <rykr(at)bellsouth(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: client interface docs
Date: 2002-12-06 05:06:16
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

I'm working on a new interface to PostgreSQL and having a difficult
time.
Perhaps someone here can shed some light on the subject.

1.  Am I correct in thinking that the OID that I receive with the
RowDescription is the column type?  I have several of those defined from
the
7.3 source code.  Have those changed in the past and are they likely to
change in the future?  I have heard people talking about querying the
server
for type names or type oid values but I can't believe it is that
difficult.

2.  How do I receive the column modifers such as not null, primary key,
indexed, etc.  I know RowDescription sends down type modifiers but on an
int4 column that field is always -1.  I use another client app to change
the
column from allowing nulls to not allowing nulls (same value in column).
The client app as well as psql on Linux sees the change but my interface
still receives just -1 for the type modifier.  What am I missing?

If there is someplace that has the oids documented or the low-level
constants documented, I would love to see that.

Thanks
Reggie