Re: View vs. direct Table access

From: "Marin Dimitrov" <marin(dot)dimitrov(at)sirma(dot)bg>
To: "Darren Ferguson" <darren(at)crystalballinc(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: View vs. direct Table access
Date: 2002-03-27 14:42:05
Lists: pgsql-general

----- Original Message -----
From: "Darren Ferguson"

> The reason the view is slower is because it has to be created first before
> you can select from it.
>
> I.e. every time you select from the view it will have to run the view sql
> before it can select from it

could u clarify this? shouldn't some kind of dictionary cache be employed?

this reminds me another issue I couldn't find explained in the docs - does
Postgres have some kind of library cache for sharing/reuse of SQL
statements, pl/pgsql functions, etc?

it seems that there is only buffer cache at present

thanx,

Marin

----
"...what you brought from your past, is of no use in your present. When
you must choose a new path, do not bring old experiences with you.
Those who strike out afresh, but who attempt to retain a little of the
old life, end up torn apart by their own memories. "