Re: How to start without password

From: "Joel Burton" <joel(at)joelburton(dot)com>
To: "Uros Gruber" <uros(at)sir-mag(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to start without password
Date: 2002-06-08 16:57:44
Lists: pgsql-general

PG server doesn't require a password to start up. How are you starting it up
so that it requires a password?

Normally, in your startup script (which presumably run as root), you'll have
a line like:

su -c postgres "/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl start"

to run pg_start as the user postgres. Since root can su to any user, no
password is required.

This has nothing to do with whether passwords are required to *connect* to
PG; you're right, this is controlled by pg_hba.conf.

- J.