Memory management

From: Rémy Dufour <remy(dot)tech(at)webnet(dot)qc(dot)ca>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Memory management
Date: 2000-07-05 19:17:42
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi there,

Recently, I've installed postgres 6.5 on a P3 450 396 megs of RAM. I'm
running Linux RedHat 6.2. I got a few db on it and one has around 2 millions records. When I boot my server, I do a 'free' and it tells me that I got around 300 megs of RAM free.

After I do a couple of requests like "Select count(ID) from Store" the memory fills itself and my system swaps a bit.

So, is there a way to limit the memory postgresql is allowed to use?

And, if anyone can point me out some docs or references on how postgresql/linux
manage its memory.

I would just add more memory to my machine, but it seems to me that it will always fills itself and swap some.

Regards,

Remy Dufour
IT Programmer
WebNet Inc - ISP