initdb & pg_encoding

From: "William Decker" <william_decker(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: initdb & pg_encoding
Date: 2000-05-30 03:20:24
Lists: pgsql-admin

Ok, I am ready to pull my hair out, what I have left!!

Here is what I got:

RedHat Linux 6.2 on an Athlon 700 processor with 128meg RAM and 30 gig of drive space.

What my problem is:

During the installation of PostgreSQL 6.5.3, I execute the initdb command using the postgres user account. I get the following error message:

pg_encoding: error in loading shared libraries: pg_encoding: undefined symbol: pg_char_to_encoding

We are initializing the database system with username postgres (uid=26).
This user will own all the files and must also own the server process.

Creating Postgres database system directory /usr/local/pgsql/data

Creating Postgres database system directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/base

Creating template database in /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/template1

Adding template1 database to pg_database...
ERROR: pg_atoi: error in "template1": can't parse "template1"
ERROR: pg_atoi: error in "template1": can't parse "template1"
syntax error 1 : parse errorinitdb: could not log template database
initdb: cleaning up.

What am I doing wrong? What should I be looking for? Your assistance in resolving this would be greatly appreciated since I am new to the Linux community and really do not want to donate more money to Bill Gates!

Sincerely;

Bill Decker
St. Louis, MO USA